Healthy eating tips for winter
During winter it’s understandable to want to snack more as we spend more time inside. However, there are endless healthy options that are ideal for the winter months such as soups and casseroles. With a bit of preparation and planning you can create delicious and healthy winter foods.
Here are some tips that may help:
- Soups are the ideal winter food, especially if they’re packed with vegetables. Use a large pot to make enough soup to last for the week. It’s ideal for lunch, or as an entree prior to dinner
- Add some warmth to your salads. Top your salad with warm chicken, beef, roasted vegetables, toasted nuts or crispy chickpeas
- Use garlic and spices in your food. They add flavour, are healthy, and depending on which spices you use, can also provide added warmth to your meal
- Make casseroles with meat and vegetables. They’re healthy and a great comfort food for winter
- Consume more Vitamin D to support lung function and cardiovascular health by eating food such as salmon, herring and sardines, canned tuna, cod liver oil, egg yolks and mushrooms
- Fruit and vegetables should always be part of your daily diet because they can be high in antioxidants
- Maintain your water intake and drink regularly all year round for good health.